How to create an account on Instagram. If you would like to join the millions of people who are part of the Instagram culture, you can create your own account completely free! You can do it from your favorite mobile platform or, if you are …
Use a mobile device
- Open your phone’s app store by clicking on its icon. You must download the Instagram application to create and access an account from your mobile platform. On iOS devices, this app is called the ‘App Store’ and on Android phones and tablets, the ‘Google Play Store’.
- Look for the ‘Instagram’ app. On both iOS and Android platforms, you can do this by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the app store and then entering the corresponding text for your search.
- Click on the relevant button to download Instagram. Because Instagram is a free app, you will see a button next to the app that says ‘Get’ (iOS) or ‘Install’ (Android). Depending on your internet connection speed, downloading Instagram could take a minute or two.
- Click on the Instagram app. This action will open Instagram.
- Click on the ‘Register’ button. In doing so, you will be required to enter your information.
- Enter the email address of your choice in the field provided for that purpose. Click ‘Next’ when you are done. Make sure this is a current email address that you have access to. You can also choose to log in with your Facebook information from here. If you click on the option ‘Sign in with Facebook’, Instagram will ask you to sign in to your Facebook account if you have not done so already.
- Enter a username and password. You will need to enter the password twice to confirm its accuracy. Make sure to choose a username that you like before clicking ‘Next’.
- Enter other optional details. These include a profile photo, a bio for your account, or a link to your personal website. You can add or change this information at any time from your Instagram profile by clicking on the ‘Edit profile’ option located at the top of the page.
- Click ‘Finish’. With this action, you will have created your account.
Use a computer
- Open the browser of your choice. While your browsing experience on Instagram is limited compared to a mobile device when using a computer, you can still set up and access your account from the Instagram website.
- Access the Instagram website. Click on the link provided to access it.
- Enter your login information in the correct section of the page. This information includes the following: a current email address; your full name; a username of your choice; a password of your choice; You can also click ‘Sign in with Facebook’ at the top of this section to create an account with your Facebook name and password. With this action, you will link your Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Click on the ‘Register’ button. This is located at the bottom of the registration menu. By doing so, you will have created your account.
- Click on the person icon in the upper right corner of your screen. This icon will redirect you to your account page.
- Click on the ‘Edit Profile’ option. This is located to the right of your Instagram name and at the top of your page.
- Add any type of information you want to show. This could include a bio for your account, a link to your personal website, or a profile picture. When you’re done, click the ‘Submit’ button located at the bottom of the page. Congratulations, you just created an Instagram account!
Customize your Instagram profile
- Click the ‘Edit Profile’ button from your account page. In order to distinguish your Instagram account from other accounts, it is a good idea to customize the details of this one. You can also add this information during the initial setup of your account using a mobile device.
- Click on ‘Add Profile Photo’. If you already have a profile photo, this option will be titled ‘Change Profile Photo’. Remember that you have different options to upload a profile photo: Import a photo from Facebook: select a photo from your Facebook albums. Remember that to do this, your Facebook and Instagram accounts must be linked. Import a photo from Twitter: select a photo from your Twitter media files. Remember that to do this, your Twitter and Instagram accounts must be linked. Take a photo: Take a photo to use on your profile. Choose a photo from your gallery: select a photo from your collection.
- Upload a profile photo from your preferred source. This will give your Instagram account a different image or face, making it more recognizable than an account without a profile picture. This is a good place to upload a logo if you created an Instagram account for a brand or business.
- Click on the ‘Name’ field to add a name. This field is usually reserved for your full name, but Instagram allows users to add a single first name (for example, a first or last name). If you use this account for work, consider putting your business name in place of your name.
- Click on the ‘Username’ field to add a username of your choice. This is the name that other people will see on Instagram. For greater accessibility, try to make your username related to the predominant content on your Instagram account. If the username of your choice is not available, Instagram will ask you to choose a different one.
- Click on the ‘Website’ field to add the URL of your website. If you have a specialized web page (for example, for your personal content, for photography or for your business), placing a URL link in this field will show it below your profile information when other users visit your page. This is a great way to promote your work or life outside of Instagram without paying for advertising.
- Click on the ‘Bio’ field to add a bio to your account. This information must be related to the content of your Instagram account or to your intentions. For example, if your Instagram account is dedicated to a collection of nature photos, mention it in the bio box. You can also put relevant hashtags in this field, which will make your account easier to find for users looking for similar content.
- Check your personal information. This is located at the bottom of your page. Only you can see this information, since it was recorded when you registered your account on Instagram. From here, you can change the following fields: your registered email address; your registered phone number; your gender preference.
- Click ‘Finish’ in the upper right corner. With this action, you will save all your changes.