How to delete followers on Instagram. If you have an aggressive relative or annoying friend who annoys you on Instagram, you’ll be happy to know that you can remove their access to your account! Although you can’t exactly ‘delete’ followers, you can .. .
- Select the Instagram app to open it. If you are using a computer, go to the Instagram website. You will have to log in with your Instagram account if you have not done so already.
- Access your profile. To do this, select or click on the icon of a person’s image, which is in the lower right corner of the screen. If you are on a computer, you will find this icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select or click on ‘Followers.’ This option should be found to the right of your profile picture.
- Check your list of followers. Although you cannot force a follower to unfollow your profile, you can block him and, in this way, prevent him from following you or seeing your account.
- Click or select the follower you want to delete. This will direct you to his profile, from which you can block him.
- Select the three-dot menu. This option is in the upper right corner of the screen or to the right of your username on a computer. On an Android, this menu is vertical and not horizontal.
- Click or select the ‘Block’ option. On the Instagram website, the option says ‘Block this user.’ After choosing this option, Instagram will direct you to a confirmation.
- To the question ‘Are you sure?’, Click or select ‘Yes.’ This will block the selected user and they will no longer be able to see your posts! The blocked user will be able to continue seeing your comments on the photos of other users and will be able to continue searching for your account; however, you will not be able to access it. You can see a list of your blocked users at any time by going to your menu settings and choosing the ‘Blocked users’ option.
- Repeat this process for each follower you want to block. If you’d like to avoid unwanted followers later on, you can set your account to private; This will allow you to accept any request from a follower before users can view your account.
Make your account private
- Open the Instagram application on your smartphone. Changing your account from its ‘Public’ status to ‘Private’ means that anyone who wants to follow you will have to request it; you are the only one who can approve this request. This gives you more control over who can access your Instagram. Changing your account to private also restricts other users’ access to your comments and ‘likes’, with the only exception in public posts, where your name will appear next to other ‘likes’, but your account will continue to be maintained protected. You will not be able to change the display status of your account from a computer.
- Open your profile if you haven’t already. To do this, select the icon of the image of a person that is in the lower right corner of your cell phone screen. You can also open it from a tablet.
- Open your account menu settings. Do this by selecting the gear icon (on iOS) or the three dots (on Android) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to the ‘Account’ group. It is a series of tabs that includes the account options; you will find the option ‘Private account’ at the end of this group.
- Activate ‘Private account’ by moving the option to the right. It should now turn from gray to blue, indicating that your account is now private! If you want to disable this setting, simply move the option to the left and select ‘OK’ in the pop-up window. Please note that your current followers will not be affected by this change. If you want to block some or all of them, you will have to do it manually.